Thursday, September 22, 2011

"2011 in Review"

I figured I'd start by recollecting on how my year has been going instead of an individual run.  My main focus this year has been the RFYL Grand Prix series. I had no idea how much my 5k times would improve and even beat my college PR. Going into the series this year my last race was the Thunder Road Marathon in 2010. Needless to say my spirits were down since I missed qualifying for Boston by 20 whole minutes! I realized distance running was not my favorite.

Since running at Queens University I had not been able to come close to my 5k PR of 19.53. When I say, "not even close" I mean I couldn't break the 21 minute barrier. I had become very discouraged with my running. After running random 5ks around town and getting some 22 minute, 23 minute and even one 24 minute 5k, I signed up for the Grand Prix series with a goal to get back in college shape.

My first race (the Shamrock 4 miler) was a disappointment.  It was the first time I had run a 4 mile race so it was an instant PR but I could tell I was clearly out of shape.  My speed was definitely lacking. After incorporating speed work into my workouts every Tuesday with Siobhan, Jamaar some CRC peeps I ran a 21.01 at the CPCC Skyline 5k. I was so close to breaking 21 minutes it was almost discouraging. My next Grand Prix race (Twilight 5k) I ran a 21.57! That put a big damper on my spirits. I then ran a 21.45 at Great Harvest Bread Company 5k. Something had to give, I couldn't understand why I was running so poorly, in my opinion. I then bought a training plan from the one and only, Mark Hadley.

He is wonderful! I took the schedule he gave me and put in the work. My improvements began immediately. At King Tiger I ran 21.15 and felt strong.  I was also in the process of competing in the summer track series every Tuesday at Myers Park.  My mile time dropped from a 6 flat last year to a 5.43. At Summer Breeze 5k I ran a 21.06.  I was coming so close to breaking 21 I could smell it.

Then it happened. At the Upgrade your Lifestyle Birkdale 5k I ran a 19.39 and placed 2nd female overall! I couldn't believe the time clock when I crossed the finish line. A jump like that is huge! Not to toot my own horn or anything. My fitness was def where it needed to be. Since then I ran the, Run for your Cause 4 miler in 26.54. That's about three minutes faster than the 4 miler at the beginning of the series. Blue Points 5k I ran a 20.16 and at the Greek Fest 5k I ran a 19.57. I ran a random 5k in Freedom Park and ran 20.01 while placing 2nd female.  I recently ran the Brixx 10k in 43.19, which was exactly 3 minutes faster than the Racefest 10k a few months back.  I left out a few races here and there and I also left out the Blue Ridge Relay. (the Blue Ridge Relay was freaking awesome! but that would be another whole entry :-))

Next on tap for me is the Hinson Lake 24 hour and Lungstrong 15k.  I have no planned marathon in my near future or any planned races after those two for that matter. All I know is that I'm going to continue working hard in my training and "try" to enjoy these cold months ahead. You will def see me again next year for the Grand Prix Series.

I wanted to thank everyone in the running community for their support and encouragement. CRC, you are awesome! Mark Hadley, your training plans are magical! I wouldn't have reached my goal without yal!  Also, thanks for always believing in me Jamaar. Your truly a blessing.

1 comment:

  1. "Don't call it a come back!" Love being live audience to the Christi Carter Show! :-)

    ReplyDelete